Cross Court Setting Drill
This volleyball setting drill focuses on cross court setting and delivering a hittable set.
- Position two target players on either side of the court near the net.
- Position the remaining players in two lines near the back of the court on either side of the court.
- The coach is positioned between the two setters.
- The coach begins the drill by throwing or bouncing a ball to one of the setters at the front of the line.
- The setting player sets a cross court hittable ball into the target.
- The target player moves to the back of the line.
- The setter follows their set and becomes the target player.
- The coach alternates lines.
- Perform the drill until setting a hittable ball becomes comfortable for all players.
- Finish with an actual hit into an empty defensive court.
Players must be encouraged to use proper technique when setting the ball such as:
- Moving to the ball before setting
- Feet shoulder width apart or slightly wider with one foot slightly ahead of the other
- Knees bent slightly & weight evenly distributed on the balls of feet
- Hands are cocked in anticipation of the set with your fingers firm and elbows out at a 45 and 90 degree angle.
- When setting use the fingers using the ring and pinkie to stabilize the ball. The more surface area touched the better control.
- Take the set around the forehead and use entire body to push it towards the hitter.
- Follow through with your hands after the ball is released.
View Count: 34662