Setting Drill - Triangle
This setting drill will focus on setting and passing overhead from different angles on the net and passing back to these targets.
- Instruct the setter to bet on the net.
- One target player has a ball one the side of the setter.
- Another target player starts behind setter with a ball.
- One target player tosses the ball to the setter who sets it back to that target player.
- Immediately upon returning the first set, the next player tosses the ball to the setter who sets it back to that target player.
- Continue with this pattern until the setter is comfortable setting along the net as well as back setting.
- Change the distance and angles of the target players.
Players must be encouraged to use proper technique when setting the ball such as:
- Moving to the ball before setting
- Feet shoulder width apart or slightly wider with one foot slightly ahead of the other
- Knees bent slightly & weight evenly distributed on the balls of feet
- Hands are cocked in anticipation of the set with your fingers firm and elbows out at a 45 and 90 degree angle.
- When setting use the fingers using the ring and pinkie to stabilize the ball. The more surface area touched the better control.
- Take the set around the forehead and use entire body to push it towards the hitter.
- Follow through with your hands after the ball is released.
View Count: 16844